- Before starting Diwali Pooja, make sure your house is properly cleaned.
- Pooja area should always be set in north-east direction and while doing Pooja, all the members of the family should sit facing towards north.
- Number of diyas filled with ghee should be in the count of 11,21,51.
- Diyas should be arranged in the group of four denoting Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Ganesha, Lord Kuber, Lord Indra.
- Diwali Pooja should always start with the worship of Lord Ganesha.
- Food cooked for Diwali pooja should not be tasted before.
- We should also worship our account books. They should be placed in front of Goddess Lakshmi, but kept towards left.
- Perform Goddess lakshmi’s aarti at the end of the Pooja along with your family.
- Avoid drinking and eating non-veg on Diwali.
- While buying gifts for family or friends, don’t choose leather items or cutlery. If you want to gift any of these accompany them with sweets.
- Never leave Diwali Pooja in between.
- Diyas should be kept lit throughout the night.
- Goddess Lakshmi should always be kept along with her constant companion Lord Vishu.
- Avoid clapping while singing aarti for Lakshmi ji. A small bell can be used.
- Also, aarti should not be sung too loud, as it is said that Goddess Lakshmi hates Loud noise.
- Do not light crackers while doing Lakshmipujan or immediately after it.