Ludhiana, February 14
Two major fire incidents were reported in the city today in which raw material and finished goods worth crores were destroyed.A massive fire broke out at Puneet Knitwear in Beant Nagar near Samrala Chowk around 5 am. Workers informed the owner of the factory who called up the fire brigade. Three workers, Gautam Pandit, Ashok and Sonu Sharma, were inside the factory when the fire broke out. They broke a grill at the back of the building to escape from the fire. No worker was injured.Sanjiv Dhir, owner of the hosiery unit, claimed that raw material, finished goods and machines worth crores of rupees were destroyed in the fire.The fire officials said around 150 fire tenders were used and the fire was brought under control by 4 pm.Balwinder Singh, Assistant District Fire Officer, said: “We doused the flames around 1 pm but the yarn was still burning. They faced difficulties in putting out fire in the congested building. We used around 150 fire tenders to control the flames. Firefighters are still on work. We hope we will completely control the fire by 7 pm”.The firefighters broke walls at three points to control the fire. The officials believed the fire was caused by a short-circuit.Sweaters, track suits, sweatshirts and pullovers were manufactured at the factory.Meanwhile, another fire incident was reported at Arihant Hosiery on Bahadurke Road in the morning.Workers at the factory woke up to the smell of smoke. They informed owner of the factory Anil Jain about the incident. There were seven workers in the factory when the fire broke out. All came out safe.The fire brigade reached the spot around 6:30 am and the fire was controlled by 10 am.Anil Jain said: “We had stored finished goods worth lakhs at the factory. The cause of the fire was a short-circuit. We believe that we have lost goods worth Rs 40 lakh in the fire”.