The Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, India was the first medical school for women in Asia. It was founded by Dame Edith Mary Brown in 1894.
The medical missionary work was started in Ludhiana in 1881 by the Greenfield sisters, Martha Rose and Kay. They were evangelists and educationalists from Scotland. The pioneering medical work of the Greenfield sisters was the precursor of the Medical Training and Health Care Service Programme of the present Christian Medical College, Ludhiana.
The Greenfield sisters and their associates organized the Health Care Educational Services. Dr. Edith Mary Brown joined them in 1893. In 1894 the North Indian School of Medicine for Christian Women was started by Dr. Brown and her colleagues with the object of training Indian nationals, particularly the women, to serve in the field of medical education and health care services, emphasizing integration of training and health care services. The period from 1894 to 1952 has been an epoch-making era which saw the development from its beginning as a School of Medicine for Christian Women to Women’s Christian Medical College. In 1952 when the name was changed to Christian Medical College to enable it to admit men and women for the upgraded MBBS course which came into effect for its first admission from 1953. The college was affiliated with Punjab University, Chandigarh. The Medical School granted LSMF diploma till 1952. Since the College was upgraded to M.B.B.S in 1953, more than 2,000 candidates have graduated and these graduates are serving in India and the world.Christian Medical College Ludhiana is recognised by the Medical Council of India.